Trending Stories

How Your Facebook Timeline Appears For Your Friends And Public

Facebook Timeline is now available worldwide. Many users started activating it as it is currently it is opt-in. If you are still not activated it, you can do it by following the steps here.

Timeline is receiving mixed responses from users. One of the major concern with Timeline is privacy. Timeline allows users to add all of their life events since they born. Users can also add specific updates at a specific date. One way, this is very good way of looking at some ones social profile but along the way users activity grows and it becomes very hard to control the privacy. Timeline is not very intuitive to control the privacy. Users can do it upto some level using Activity Log tool.

Facebook also provided a nice little feature which allows users to know how their Timeline appears for their friends and public. Users can impersonate any of their friend and see how their profile appears for their friends. Users can also see how it appears for non friends(any other Facebook user).

Here are few simple steps which lets you see how your profile appears for your friends and public.

1. Go to your profile and click on the little button located just beside Activity Log button as shown in the below picture.
  2. Click on View As in the drop down menu.
  3. You will be first taken to public page. In this you see what information appears to all Facebook users(users who are not your friends).
  4. If you want to see how it appears for your friend then just enter friend’s name in the “Enter a friend’s name” box located at the top of the page as shown in the below picture.

This feature is useful but Facebook has to look at more options for users to better manage privacy. Let us know what kind of other features you are expecting to make Timeline useful in the comments below.

Filed in: Social Media Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

13 Responses to "How Your Facebook Timeline Appears For Your Friends And Public"

1. Kunal says:

Timeline appears to a specific friend in a different manner and public in a different manner… I like the way it appears to public better.. Is there any way i can copy the same look / layout [the way it appears] to public for all my friends ? thanx in advance..

2. Elaina says:

How do I get rid of this!?

3. Tony says:

Some one please help, how do I get rid of this time line and back to old version?

4. ziy says:

So…. iz der any way to disable fb timeline??

5. Carla says:

Please help me get rid of timeline. I hit a button to see what it looked like and now I can not go back. There is not an app on the developers page. Please help me. I really do not like it.

6. Simon says:

Is there any easy way to not display anything below the information part of my timeline to the public? It’s kinda messy for strangers and it annoys me so bad.

7. Andre says:

Simon, I feel you dude. I’ve been on the net for the past 4 hours trying to find a way to keep my timeline out of the publics eye. It’s just plain creepy. With the old FB, the public could only see my profile pic, my gender and the write a message and add as friend options. I don’t want creepo’s to creep my timeline. My timeline, info and friends on FB is private, I don’t want to share it with a bunch of creepsters.

8. dalia says:

i need to get rid of this crap timeline …plz help meeeeeeeee…i tried everything & its not working …..plz find me a solution !!!!!!!!!!!!!1

9. Laijan says:

wat will happen next, Ey?

10. Fabio says:

There is no way of removing facebook timeline. Just stick with it or delete facebook.
    Use the settings to manage privacy issues.